Rooms with views when lighthouse properties become holiday cottages

Location at St Ann's Head is renowned for spotting porpoises

27 January 2016

Share this

A terrace of former lighthouse keepers’ cottages at St Ann’s Head on the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, are to be given a new lease of life and restored as holiday cottages after being purchased from Trinity House. The new owners are to redevelop the five cottages in Dale, which have panoramic views out to sea and towards the entrance to Milford Haven waterway, one of Britain’s deep water harbours.

Robert Evans, an Associate with Cooke & Arkwright who acted on behalf of Trinity House in the sale said, “The properties are in need of refurbishment as they have not been lived in for some time. They will make lovely holiday accommodation because of their superb location and access to the Wales National Coast Path. We are very pleased that the purchasers plan to use them as holiday cottages and bring them back into use.”

Dale is a popular holiday and water sports destination with a number of community and sporting groups based in the village, as well as the Griffin Inn public house, Boathouse Café and Moorings Restaurant. The area is renowned for its abundance of flora, wildlife and maritime species, with porpoises regularly spotted off St Ann’s Head, and Atlantic Grey seals in the waters around Skomer Island, which is a Marine Nature Reserve. Skokholm and Skomer islands lie to the west of St Ann’s Head and are home to thousands of puffins, Manx shearwaters and guillemots.

Trinity House is the General Lighthouse Authority for England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibralter. It was granted approval for a lighthouse at the site in 1714 and the lighthouse tower was automated in 1998.