Andrew West MRICS, IRRV (Hons)
Director, Business Rates
Andrew West is Director of rating advising clients on business rates and compulsory purchase valuations; he conducts rating appeals for clients to Valuation Tribunal and the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber).
Andrew West is Director of rating advising clients on business rates and compulsory purchase valuations; he represents many of Wales’ and the UK’s principal commercial property occupiers in a rating capacity.
Andrew is Partner and Director at Cooke & Arkwright responsible for business rating and compulsory purchase valuation. He represents many diverse commercial property occupiers throughout the UK and Republic of Ireland and conducts business rating appeals to Valuation Tribunal and Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber).
Andrew is a spokesperson for the RICS Wales on property taxation and has given evidence to the National Assembly's Economy, Infrastructure and Skills Committee.
He has presented to senior business rate professionals, government officials and ratepayers on 'Business Rate Policy in Wales' at the prestigious National Rating Day in London, and has given talks to the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV) and the Valuation Tribunal Service. He is a member of the RICS Rating and Local Taxation Policy Panel advising the Westminster Government and also a member of the Welsh Ratepayer's Forum.
He is a founder member of the Wales Steering Group of the Compulsory Purchase Association in his capacity advising acquiring authorities and claimants.
He was one of the lead surveyors advising Cardiff Bay Development Corporation on the acquisition programme in advance of the comprehensive redevelopment of Cardiff Bay.
Areas of Expertise
- Successful rating appeal for Millennium Stadium, reducing the 2005 rating assessment from £2,000,000 RV to £1,375,000 RV and the 2010 assessment from £2,250,000 RV to £1,650,000 RV saving £3.5 million.
- Cardiff Bay Barrage rating assessment reduced from £500,000 Rateable Value to £0 Rateable Value
- Landmark rating case on impact of disrepair, County Hall Cwmbran for Torfaen & Monmouthshire Councils.
- IRRV (Hons)
- Member of RICS Rating and Local Taxation Policy Panel
- RICS Registered Valuer
- Member of Compulsory Purchase Association
Mountain biking, keep fit, travel.