Andrew 'demystifies' the complicated business tax, explains the appeals system and how it could be improved, and the adverse effect of the so-called 'Staircase Tax' on businesses occupying multiple floors in office blocks.
The podcast is 13 minutes long, with the different topics covered at approximately the following minutes within the broadcast timeline:
- 1:00 Summary explanation of business rates and revaluations; link between property values and the economy
- 2:00 Differences between Welsh and English business rates; understanding rating bills
- 4:15 Appeals processes and issues; English 'Check Challenge Appeal' system and software problems along with ensuing drop in appeals
- 8:00 Welsh system - how it could be improved; why it is difficult for businesses to interpret and to take up reliefs
- 9:20 Staircase Tax - Supreme Court decision on businesses occupying multiple floors in office blocks; adverse effect of backdated tax; English reversal decision
- 11:50 Welsh Government consultation on Staircase Tax - why Wales should follow England's lead; effect on competition.